Serving the Oak Lawn community for over 60 years.
Johnson-Phelps VFW Post #5220 was formed by area veterans returning from the Second World War between 1944 and 1945 and received a formal charter in 1946. Initially, the members gathered at the Oaklawn Public Library and later held functions at Brandt's Dug-Out. In 1951, the Post moved into its current location on 52nd Avenue and Yourell Drive. Throughout its history Post #5220 has sucessfully brought veterans of all ages and backgrounds together.
Members of the Post and its Ladies Auxiliary have a strong reputation for participating in community service events, performing volunteer work at hospitals, and spearheading donation drives and fundraisers for charity.
Through the work of its members, Johnson-Phelps continues to make a difference in the lives of countless individuals and has made a trememdous impact on the surrounding community. Johnson-Phelps is an exemplary member of the community that serves as a continuous representation of the unyielding bravery, courage, and perserverance of our Nations's Armed Forces both present and past.
Today, Post #5220, has over 600 members and is one of the most active VFW Posts in the Chicagoland area.