Through the work of its members, Johnson-Phelps continues to make a difference in the lives of countless individuals and has made a trememdous impact on the surrounding community. Johnson-Phelps is an exemplary member of the community that serves as a continuous representation of the unyielding bravery, courage, and perserverance of our Nations's Armed Forces both present and past.
We have 21 uniformed veterans in our Ritual Team/Honor Guard. We have weekly and monthly events like bingo and poker tournaments. Hall rentals are also available for evey occassion. Whatever your needs the members at Johnson-Phelps VFW are ready to help.
Founded in January of 1946, the Oak Lawn Johnson-Phelps V.F.W., and it's Ladies Auxiliary, have served local veterans for six decades. The organization's first meeting took place in the Oak Lawn Public Library, and when this space became too small they moved to Brandt's Dug Out.
In 1950, land near 52nd Avenue and Wabash Avenue was purchased with the help of donations and proceeds from a play. These funds were used to construct a building for the members of the Johnson-Phelps Post. Completed in 1951 with most of the work done by members, the post officially opened on November 11th during observance of Veteran's Day.
In the following years, the V.F.W. continued its work within the community, and expanded its structure with an addition in 1963. The Hall played an important and tragic role in the 1967 Tornado when the building was used as a temporary morgue to house the victims of the disaster.
The Johnson-Phelps V.F.W., now over 70 years old, has become a landmark in the village and a continual presence among a sea of constant change.